Dr. J.M.P. (Hans) BreurKindercardioloog
Congenital Heart Disease life span project – preventing collateral damage
Patients with congenital heart disease frequently encounter developmental disorders. We try to identify the origin of neurological impairment with a unique follow-up program starting at 32 weeks gestation with fetal MRI scanning of the brain and the heart and is followed by postnatal and postoperative MRI scans. Children enroll in a unique neurodevelopmental follow-up program for early detection of developmental delay. Furthermore we try to reduce neurological sequelae with interventions.
Additional value of a 3D Rotational Angiography in treatment of congenital heart disease
Three dimensional rotational angiography has changed our way of looking at the heart. Instead of interpreting several 2D images we have a 3D model of the heart available when performing cardiac catheterization. We investigate the additional value of per-procedural 3D imaging as well as its value when used in medical decision making. Furthermore we investigate the usefulness of 3D printing and computational fluid dynamics in congenital heart disease.
Long term outcome of the arterial switch operation
The arterial switch operation is THE success story in treatment of congenital heart disease. However long-term complications may occur. We investigate long term outcome of our large cohort of patients with transposition of the great arteries. The Wilhelmina Children’s Hospital was one of the first centers in the world performing the arterial switch operation for transposition of the great arteries providing a unique population for long term follow-up.
Whole genome sequencing in congenital heart disease
Although a congenital heart defect is the most frequently occurring congenital defect, its origin is largely unknown. New technologies such as whole genome sequencing combined with Zebra fish modelling help us to unravel its pathogenesis.
Datum promotie: 20 november 2003
Titel proefschrift: 'Fetal Heart Block'
- 1995-2003: Geneeskunde studie
- 2003-2008: Opleiding Kindergeneeskunde UMC Utrecht
- Promotie 2003: onderzoek verricht aan kinderhartcentra UMC Utrecht - UMC St. Radboud, Nijmegen - AMC, Amsterdam - John's Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland USA - Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Connecticut USA - Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
- 2008-2011: Fellowship kindercardiologie Wilhelmina Kinderziekenhuis, UMC Utrecht
- Sinds 2011: kindercardioloog, Wilhelmina Kinderziekenhuis, UMC Utrecht