prof. dr. C.H. (Carla H.) van Gils Full Professor
- Department of Epidemiology
- Julius Center Research Program Cancer
Carla van Gils obtained her degree in Biomedical Health Sciences (1994) and her PhD degree in Epidemiology at Nijmegen University (1998). In 1998 she received a fellowship from the Dutch Cancer Society in with which she worked as a visiting scientist at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA in 1999 and 2000. From 2001 she works at the Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care. Since 2014 Carla van Gils is the coordinator of the Cancer Research program of the Julius Center, management team member of the Epidemiology department and board member of the UMC Utrecht Cancer Research program. In October 2017 she was appointed Professor in Clinical Epidemiology of Cancer.
- Board member of the UMC Utrecht Cancer Research Program
- Member of the Dutch Cancer Society Advisory Board
- Chair of the Cancer Epidemiology Working Group of the Dutch Cancer Society
- Member of Population Screening Act (WBO) committee of the Health Council of the Netherlands (Gezondheidsraad)
- Methodological member IRB (Medisch Etische Toetsings Commissie) of UMC Utrecht
- Member of Breast Cancer Working Group European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC)
- Member of Prospect-EPIC steering committee
- Active/Full member of American Association for Cancer Research
- Member of the Dutch Association for Epidemiology (Vereniging voor Epidemiologie), Registration as Senior Epidemiologist (B) (SMBWO, 2001).
Fellowship and Awards
- 2009: Personal grant Dutch Cancer Society project ‘Early detection and prevention of breast cancer in women with dense breasts’
- 2009: Senior teacher of the year, Epidemiology department, Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care, University Medical Center Utrecht
- 2007: Elisabeth Steyn Parvé personal development award (University Medical Center Utrecht). Two-year program to train and coach researchers in reaching academic top positions
- 1998: Epidemiological fellowship Dutch Cancer Society (1998) for proposal on gene-environment interactions in the etiology of cancer. This program included research projects in the Netherlands (6 months) and USA (1.5 years). Funding for a fellow (Van Gils, C.H.).