dr. T.J. (Tom J.) Snijders Assistant Professor - medical
- Neurology & Neurosurgery
T.J. (Tom) Snijders, PhD, completed his medical studies and his Neurology residency in the UMC Utrecht. During his training, he obtained a PhD-degree in the field of chronic pain medicine. He sub-specialized in Neuro-oncology during his residency.
Since 2011, he works as a neurologist in the UMC Utrecht. His practice encompasses all aspects of neuro-oncological patient care. His scientific work focuses on primary brain tumors, specifically gliomas. He is the co-coordinator, with prof. Elly Hol, of the Disease Area Neuro-oncology of the UMC Utrecht Brain Center. He is co-supervisor of 4 completed or ongoing PhD-trajectories. He is also involved in providing and evaluating experimental treatments (international clinical trials) in the UMC Utrecht.
- Validation and innovation of imaging techniques for brain tumors, including MRI-scans and PET-scans
- Cognitive symptoms in glioma patients
- Epilepsy due to brain tumors
- Liquid biopsy in primary brain tumors
- The multidisciplinary Team Neuro-Oncology of the UMC Utrecht aims to provide patients with the most recent innovative (experimental) treatments for brain tumors as part of clinical studies.
- 2020-current Chairperson of the Scientific Day-committee of the Dutch Working Group Neuro-oncology (LWNO)
- 2018-current Member of the Imaging committee of the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC)’s Brain tumor group.
- 2014-current Committee Member of the Task Force on Bing Neel Syndrome of the 8th International Workshop on Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia (IWWM8).
- 2012-current Head of the Editorial board (‘redactieraad’) of Hersentumor.nl (non-profit organisation & website for public awareness and education on brain tumors).
- 2012-2015 Member and co-author (on behalf of the Dutch Neurological Society) of the Guideline committee ‘Meningioma’ of the National Working Group Meningioma.
- 2003-2011 Resident member of the section Pain of the Dutch Neurological Association.