dr. G. (Ganna) Rozhnova Assistant Professor
- Department of Epidemiology
Ganna Rozhnova was awarded a PhD fellowship from The Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology in December 2006 to study Statistical Physics at the University of Lisbon. On the completion of her degree in November 2010, she was awarded a postdoctoral research fellowship from the same foundation which she held at the University of Manchester. In Lisbon and in Manchester she worked in The Physics of Biological Systems Research Group (Ana Nunes) and The Complex Systems and Statistical Physics Group (Alan McKane).
Prior to joining the UMC Utrecht, she was also a visitor in Statistical Physics and Quantitative Biology research group at the University of Cologne (Michael Lassig); Gladstone Institute of Virology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco (Igor Rouzine and Leor Weinberger); Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University (Bryan Grenfell); Department of Zoology, University of Oxford (Jessica Metcalf); Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of California, Santa Barbara (Luca Peliti).
Her current and previous research revolve around the understanding of spatio-temporal dynamics and evolution of infectious diseases. During her research career she has worked on various aspects of the modelling of childhood infections, HIV and influenza on a whole range of theoretical to applied questions.
- Institute of Physics (IOP);
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM).
- Physics & Math: Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E, Europhysics Letters, New Journal of Physics, Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Physica Scripta;
- Biology: Ecology Letters, Journal of Theoretical Biology, PLOS journals, Vaccine, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering;
- Conferences: International Multi-Conference on Complexity, Informatics and Cybernetics (IMCIC), International Symposium on Integrating Research, Education, and Problem Solving (IREPS), etc.
Fellowship and Awards
- “Stochastic metapopulation models for infection dynamics and viral evolution”. €80k. 2010-2013. Affiliation: University of Manchester & University of Lisbon. Funding Agency: Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology. Contract No. SFRH/BPD/69137/2010.
- “The physics of populations: the role of the contact network in the competition of species and in the propagation of diseases”. €12.5k. 2007-2011. Affiliation: University of Lisbon. Funding Agency: Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. Program “Stimulus for Research" 2007.
- “Spatio-temporal patterns on complex networks: the role of the structure of the interaction network”. €60k. 2006-2010. Affiliation: University of Lisbon. Funding Agency: Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology. Contract No. SFRH/BD/32164/2006.
Scholarships and awards:
- Merit Scholarship. 2000-2004. V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
- Gold Medal “For a Marked Progress in Studies". 2000. Yenakieve Secondary School No. 8, Donetsk, Ukraine.